Friday, September 2, 2016

Vampire Romance vs Human Romance! And Some Book News!


Which of these does it for you? They each have tremendous romantic elements in them. Some people prefer one to another but I know which gets me sitting up straight! Not only that, but I want to write about it, or--!!! Is that another way of saying I want to fantasize about it????

I happen to think sex, love and fantasy all go together. Two people meet, their eyes lock. They smile or don't, play little games or perhaps not, but they do, if the chemistry is right, feel something. That something might be different for each person. The 'something' that intrigues those of us into the dark side of vampire romance, is naughty fun. It's safe, there really are no vampires. We won't ever have some intriguing vampire wanting into our boudoir...

Wait! Just a sec, Dracula! Let me wipe off this cold cream and let you in!

Nah! That's not going to happen. So since it isn't, we get our thrills from fiction and film.

By the way, I think each of those films happen to be the best of their genres, with respect to showing strong romance with power! However, when I saw Coppola's film, Bram Stoker's Dracula, I think I took a cold drink and knew I'd be writing vampire romances or at least vampire fiction with deep, dark romance in them.

As I have said before on this blog, I didn't even like vampire fiction or films particularly before that! That film was my own, dare I say it, Epiphany! My road to Damascus happened to be that film and how it made me feel. I saw a tragedy of monumental proportions. It had for me, elements of Romeo and Juliet, albeit far darker unworldly ones. And it also had, Dracula's own personal tale of love, deep and profound love that spanned centuries. It accomplished this without watering down the essence of Dracula. He was still a demonic creature, but was able to love!

I endeavor in my fiction to reflect that because it is a driving force for me. I like dark and like romance! Truthfully, I am not at all intrigued by lighter vampire love. I adored Charlene Harris' True Blood Novels and the television series. I suppose because they had their own brand of darkness.

Vampires are demonic creatures. That is, I think we can agree, a fact. And when their characters are complex beings that feel things, yet are still monstrous, well--I think that's when it gets really exciting!



In case you're interested, the most romantic of my vampire novels is this one. 


I am working on book 2 in the series right now. I'll give you a hint: Hollywood vamps were real vampires!



No comments:

Post a Comment