Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Meet My Character!



Joe Sabba 

Before I answer these great 'Meet My Character', questions from author JM Northup--for Meet My Character, let me just say Joe Sabba wanted me to tell you a bit about him so I will. Joe's a seasoned carny and quite a bit more. He travels around a great deal. He has many talents. It's possible you might meet him someday. If you do, be real careful. He might change your life forever and not in a good way.  

Okay, now for the post:


MEET MY CHARACTER


1. Who are you?



o   What is your name?

My name is Fred Dodger

o   Are you a fictional or historical character?

A bit of both you could say. I had a sideshow for years--before joining up with a big circus, that was in 1931. Times were hard and this fella, Joe Sabba came along--a carny all his life and a kind of a guardian angel I thought. Was I in for surprise! But hindsight, right?

Yup, he came along when we were so down on our luck, we were thinking about giving it all up. We had pulled over somewhere 'cause we had to high-tail it out of the last place we performed in on account of a murder. Yeah, see my people are kind of what you would call misfits and violent ones at that sometimes. They don't take kindly to insults. Guess, you might say that's an understatement.

o   What should we know about you?

I take care of my elderly dad. He's quite a handful. He's senile now. Lucky for him that he is because he's done some horrible things. Best not to recall that. If he did remember what he did, he wouldn't handle his souvenirs. They give him the only pleasure he's got. I have them hidden real good. Joe's looking for them though, I've caught him a few times. I know it's only a question of time 'till he finds them.

See, everything's connected to Old Pa's secret. I've killed in order to protect that secret. And I'll keep killing if I have to.

The other thing (sigh) is I guess you could say is, I try to help people, those society have persecuted--like the special folks in my sideshow. I really care about them. They've done some horrible things--well the clowns and the midgets have--not Baby Alice, though. She's our beautiful big lady. Course you could say being a cannibal would put some people off.

2.      Tell us about your story:

o   When and where is your tale set?

It's set in the south in America in 1931. Can I just say right here that we were hopeful when Joe Sabba came along. He helped us, well he helped me a lot or seemed to. Got us placed with a big circus. The owner Tommy Foster, was a friend of his. Well, sir--! Better not say too much, Joe monitors what I say, you see.

o   What is your personal goal?  I mean, what do you ultimately want?

I want to be a good employer and take care of my special people. I'm a carny at heart and love the life. And also, if I'm honest, I do want to meet some nice lady and settle down. I'm over forty now. I just didn't get the chance to do things for myself. I'm always thinking of my dad, guess you could say it's taken over my life. That and his secret as well as my own.

o   What is standing in your way?  What conflict(s) do you face?

See, now there you go. My own secrets stand in the way, when I protected Old Pa by killing. I have nightmares, wake up in cold sweat and everything. Guilt is just about the worst conflict a person can have, 'specially when there's no way to resolve it.
·  
3.      How do I get a copy of your book?

Amazon! 

o   What is the title or working title for this piece?

Hi, Carole here. Thanks, Fred for answering those questions as honestly as you have. My book--all about Fred and his troupe and some others is sold at Amazon. It's entitled, Circus of Horrors.
·
o   Is it available now or when can we except to see it released?

It is available now. If you like scares and a fair amount of murder and horror, this is the book for you. Yup, I'd get it before Joe Sabba comes around to check up on you. Yes, I surely would!
·   

That's the cover. And that by the way is Happy the Clown. He's probably happy there because he's gotten rid of some aggression. Poor guy!

Hey! Thanks an awful lot!


ON OFFER NOW FOR 99 CENTS!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Carole!
    http://jmnorthup.blogspot.com/2015/01/carole-gills-fred-dodger.html

    ReplyDelete