Monday, June 20, 2016

Don't Waste Time, Start Another Book!


I sent off my manuscript to my editor. While I'm waiting to see the edits, before I can send it to my publisher, I could, conceivably start climbing the walls. I get that tense. It's the inaction that does it. I like to work, I need to work. Now, if I did begin climbing the walls that would upset me and frighten my kitten so I decided to do something else. Actually, I've always done this while waiting for the edits to come back. I've done it several times for each novel I've written. 

I did have an idea for the next book, but now I'm really focused, not dreamily, but seriously writing down plot ideas and characters, how I want it to end is especially important. I have that down now. Yes, I turned off the last episode of The Tudors (before it finished) and chose to do this instead!

This new book of mine will be different. The vampires are arguing with me, they want to come back, but I want them to take a break. The supernatural has fascinated me for years. As a matter of fact, I've become addicted to shows like Psychic Detectives. Psychics who have the uncanny ability to help solve murder cases amaze me. They bring justice and comfort to the bereaved and help to punish the guilty. I've seen shows recently with skeptical detectives who come to accept (at least for the related case they're on) a psychic's perceptions. I've seen them look sheepish and incredulous and say how they cannot help but accept the reality of the situation, that a crime was discovered when it seemed impossible. 

Okay, so there's a clue. But here's a truth. I'm not approaching this as a complete novice. I haven't had any experience with psychics, what I have had, and did live through, was the devastating loss of my husband. The death of a child is the worse loss there is but second to that is the death of a spouse. It changed me forever, that I know. 

What I felt, how I was--the dreams I had, the feelings and perceptions were all filed away in my head. I didn't know it at the time, that is I wasn't 'planning anything,' I was just grieving.

Then I started to get a little better and I came to believe that my feelings and all that I went through would have to come out. I felt too many things too deeply for too long. It's not good to keep things bottled up, I was brought up to believe that and I do. 

I've just begun my new book. Not just notes, but the foundation for the story of a woman who has lost her husband. There is a great deal to consider and I am making a start. I'll give you updates, I promise! 

When my manuscript is returned, I will work on it and send it to my publisher and 
I, Bathory Queen of Blood will be released. I'm just using my spare time while it's spare! See?! So practical don't you think? 


2 comments:

  1. Yes very practical. Thank you for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi! you've written quite a few yourself. yes, it helps, mainly i don't get nuts and secondly I start a new one. thanks DG!

      Delete