Sunday, March 19, 2017

The Dark Truth of My Fiction


From 'I, Bathory, Queen of Blood:
"5out of 5 stars HORRIFIC VAMPS & GREAT STORY!!!
I'm hooked on Carole Gill!! I prefer more details about a Vampires life, knowing they're Satan's creatures, and love that this author portrays them as they are!!! Intense read and that there's real history in a her novels, makes it even more interesting!! If you're offended by language, sex, bondage, and savagery, look to the Chic lit on the paranormal!!! Carole Gill is phenomenal!!!!"
Reviewer on Amazon 

This review was written for I, Bathory, Queen of Blood. However the essence of it applies to the horror fiction I write. It particularly applies to all my vampire novels which include a series of four books as well as two other novels that follow.

The Blackstone Vampires consists of four novels. The House on Blackstone Moor, Unholy Testament-The Beginnings, Unholy Testament-Full Circle and The Fourth Bride (The Blackstone Vampires Omnibus comprises all four novels), Justine: Into the Blood and I, Bathory, Queen of Blood. 

This reviewer nailed it. I don't write lightly. Vampires are monsters, beings from hell that subsist on human blood. They have feelings and, though demonic, they can love in their strange and dark way. But mostly, they lust and feed. They do this because that's what vampires, real fictional vampires, do.

The Series contains horror also of a different nature as it is historically based, covering thousands of years and includes human horror. I thought that only fair. Evil is evil, after all.

There are readers that enjoy the dark side and readers that don't. I think they should have a choice. For those who want to step into the dark and experience what goes with it, I'd suggest they read my fiction.

Chic Lit is a great subgenre. It suits a lot of readers. But horror is horror unless it is a specific type of subgenre which is fine. Here is a definition of horror that is worth a read:



DEFINITION OF HORROR

noun

an overwhelming and painful feeling caused bysomething frightfully shocking, terrifying, orrevolting; a shuddering fear: to shrink back from a mutilated corpse in horror, anything that causes such a feeling: killing, looting, and other horrors of war, such a feeling as a quality or condition: to have known the horror of slow starvation. a strong aversion; abhorrence: to have a horror of emotional outbursts. Informal. something considered bad or tasteless: That wallpaper is a horror. The party was a horror. horrors, Informal.
delirium tremens.
extreme depression. adjective inspiring or creating horror, loathing, aversion,etc.: The hostages told horror stories of their year in captivity. centered upon or depicting terrifying or macabre events: a horror movie. interjection
horrors, (used as a mild expression of dismay,surprise, disappointment, etc.)



I take that onboard with my horror fiction. That's what I write, that's the dark truth of what I write.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome Review Carole, and great comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it dark and dangerous! My vampires are not evil, but they do bad things because it is in their nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for that, Catherine. yes, that's what i say. Their nature is different and that's where the truth of what they are lies. perhaps not evil, they should be varied--but they're not far removed from the dark! thanks again!

    ReplyDelete